The average American will gain between 8-10 pounds from Thanksgiving to New Years. The high amount of calories in Holiday meals and lack of exercise contribute to an expanding waistline. The good news is that there are things that you can do to keep your weight in check without having to deprive yourself on Turkey Day.
- Don't go to Thanksgiving on an empty stomach. Make sure that you are eating lighter nutritious meals before dinner time so that you avoid over eating.
- Cut back on fat and calories by taking off the skin before you eat your turkey. You also should know that a serving size of meat is equal to that of a deck of cards.
- Use portion control with your side dishes. Go ahead and try everthing if you must, just keep your portions small so that your calories do not add up so much.
- Substitute the higher fat items and creamy dishes for the veggies and fruits. This will also minimize the damage to your waistline on Thanksgiving day.
- Take a walk after dinner and try to expend some of those extra calories that you consumed at dinner. If you burn it off before bed, you will be less likely to store it as fat.
Have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving!!!